Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Baby Steps - 12/31/09

Dear Friends,

Today I started my physical therapy. Over two sessions, one morning and one in the afternoon, I managed to walk about 150 feet using a specially designed walker made for one handed - one footed people like me. It may not sound like much, but it's a miracle that I can take any steps at all. As I made my slow, awkward hops down the hallway, I couldn't help but think of Colleen when she was learning how to walk and how I was basically starting from scratch myself.

This is true not just with walking, but with all aspects of my life. I know I'm going to have to learn how to live my life without Chris – in the 'new normal' that doesn't include him. These last few days have felt surreal. I've been surrounded by an endless stream of friends and family. We've laughed and cried and spent hours reminiscing.

It's easier here, away from our memory filled home, not to think too much about the future. I know for sure that the thing Chris wanted most was for Colleen and me to be happy. While I don't know what that will look like yet, I know that with God's grace and Chris's love we will get there.

I'm still in a lot of pain and I won't be released until it is under control and I've reached a few key physical milestones. Colleen is safe and happy in College Station with her Meme and Poppa. While I miss her desperately, I know that it is the best place for her to be right now.

We still don’t have a time and date for the services, but know that we will include photos of Chris as part of the memorial. His friend Aaron will be collecting the pictures and creating a slide show. If you have special photos of Chris, please email them to: coopags@hotmail.com
If you would like to include a note or story about the picture, we would love that!
We appreciate all your kind words and prayers.

with love,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment